Why I bake- a lot

As an alcoholic in recovery, I had to find another outlet, another addiction if you will. I bake because it not only makes me happy to have created something, but it is always SO FULFILLING to give what I bake to other people, and make them happy. So none of the recipes on here include alcohol, and if I do make a recipe that calls for wine, I will substitute fruit juice.

And I am a big kid. I want to be a French teacher for pre-schoolers, so I feel it is important for me to keep thinking like a child. Also the whole child-like thinking helps me feel fulfilled in my daily life. Please leave comments if these recipes make you happy, I just love hearing that. I strive to keep the child inside me alive.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sick Day Comfort Food

I'm not feeling well today. AT ALL. No energy is left in my body for any other activity but laying in bed. But I did pry myself up for a few minutes for my favorite comfort food: Chicken n dumplins. Now personally, I like my chicken n dumplins thick and creamy, and so I came up with a recipe that is SO SIMPLE and SO GOOD that I kinda just wanted to cry when I tasted it. It was exactly how I wanted it.




What You'll need:
4 boneless chicken breasts
12 refrigerated biscuits
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
Pepper, to taste
Seasoned Salt, to taste

What you'll do:
Preheat the oven to 350
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Throw the chicken in the water
Let them cook for 45 minutes to an hour, or until they are almost completely cooked. When they are finished, pour out most of the water, leaving about a 1/4th of a cup still in the pot.
Pour in the soup and simmer the soup and the chicken together for another 10 minutes, and then use a whisk to mash up chicken into small shredded bites. By this point it will be soft enough to do so.
Add the salt and the pepper to your own taste preferences
Pour mixture into a prepared casserole dish
Place refrigerated biscuits on top of mixture, pushing down on them so that they are halfway submerged in the soup
Bake in the oven using the directions for the biscuits. It may even take a little bit longer, but you are looking for a firm biscuit when you push down on it.
Let cool. Then devour. One biscuit and whatever is underneath it is great for a serving size. It holds up nicely when wrapped in tin foil and stored in the refrigerator for a few days. To reheat, place in microwave for a minute.

The most important thing to remember is to push down the biscuits! The texture of the biscuit will then resemble a traditional dumplin, while the top will have that flaky golden texture of a normal biscuit. Thus, I'm not sure whether to call this Chicken n Biscuits or Chicken n Dumplins. How about just Chicken n Amazingness?

No comments:

Post a Comment