Why I bake- a lot

As an alcoholic in recovery, I had to find another outlet, another addiction if you will. I bake because it not only makes me happy to have created something, but it is always SO FULFILLING to give what I bake to other people, and make them happy. So none of the recipes on here include alcohol, and if I do make a recipe that calls for wine, I will substitute fruit juice.

And I am a big kid. I want to be a French teacher for pre-schoolers, so I feel it is important for me to keep thinking like a child. Also the whole child-like thinking helps me feel fulfilled in my daily life. Please leave comments if these recipes make you happy, I just love hearing that. I strive to keep the child inside me alive.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cake Batter Pancakes!

It's my BIRTHDAYZZZZZZ! By the addition of the z, I mean it is my sober birthday April 1, and my belly-button birthday April 2. Belly-button birthday is the actual day that I graced this world with my presence, 24 years ago. So I started writing this post on the 1st, and I will end it on the 2nd, so yah, BIRTHDAYZZZZZZ. This morning I decided to make myself a special breakfast to celebrate my 2 years of sobriety. If you remember, I made Cake Batter pudding cookies a few weeks ago. These are along the same same lines, but they are PANCAKES with SPRINKLES and instead of syrup you serve them with ICING. Just sounds all over amazing right? Yep, exactly what I thought!
Looks yummy!

So as I said, the 2 candle is for my sobriety birthday. I also have a 4 candle to add to it with whatever fun stuff I choose to make myself tomorrow. YIPEE! I got this recipe from www.chef-in-training.com, same as the cake batter pudding cookies.

You'll Need:

For Pancakes:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup yellow cake mix
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-2 cups milk
  • assorted sprinkles
  For Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • assorted sprinkles
You'll Do:

For Pancakes:
Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. This will vary greatly on the brand of cake mix you use. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed.  *You may need to have small taste test to see if the pancakes are flavored enough, if not, add a little more yellow cake mix until desired flavor is reached**

Preheat a skillet on medium heat (or an electric grilled and turn it to 250 degrees). Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet and let cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with vanilla glaze.

For Glaze:
Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency. I needed to add more milk.  Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes.

YAY! Happy....pancake making??

No comments:

Post a Comment