Why I bake- a lot

As an alcoholic in recovery, I had to find another outlet, another addiction if you will. I bake because it not only makes me happy to have created something, but it is always SO FULFILLING to give what I bake to other people, and make them happy. So none of the recipes on here include alcohol, and if I do make a recipe that calls for wine, I will substitute fruit juice.

And I am a big kid. I want to be a French teacher for pre-schoolers, so I feel it is important for me to keep thinking like a child. Also the whole child-like thinking helps me feel fulfilled in my daily life. Please leave comments if these recipes make you happy, I just love hearing that. I strive to keep the child inside me alive.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Cookies of the Week 6 & 7

Another great two weeks of baking! Both of these recipes I have made multiple times throughout their respective weeks. I think that as people start expecting them on certain days, they disappear faster. I got many compliments on these, and that just makes me want to keep making more. More praise comes my way then, and my ego loves it. I have a disease of more. Anyways, here are the recipes:

Week 6: Salted Mocha Chocolate Chip

I found this recipe and I was instantly hit with an Oh My God. I loooooove my coffee. Caffeine is good. Caffeine is my friend. So I was a little disappointed when these didn't come out with a potent coffee taste, but what I did get was a really gooey chewy chocolate chip cookie. And they were gone pretty fast. My brother's 5th birthday was this week, and his favorite candy is M&M's, so I used the batter from this recipe and just used M&M's instead of chocolate chips. There's some kind of unexplained taste to M&M's when they are baked. And it is great.

I got this recipe here: http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/    It makes 36 cookies

You'll need:
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
2 room temperature eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher or seas salt, plus more for finishing
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon finely ground coffee beans

You'll do:

Preheat the oven to 365 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and powder.
In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on low speed for 3 minutes. Slowly add the sugar and beat for 3 minutes more, until ingredients are light, creamy, and well-combined. Next, add the eggs and vanilla. With mixer on low, slowly fold in the flour mixing just until combined. Finally, fold in the chips, making sure they are well-dispersed throughout the dough.
Scoop the dough in 2″ balls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle each cookie with a small pinch of kosher salt.
Bake for 12 – 13 minutes, until the edges have just started to turn golden, and the centers are still soft. Cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes, and then remove to a rack to cool. When completely cool move to an airtight container and store at room temperature for several days.

Week 7: Oreo Cheesecakes cookies

Ummmmm these are AMAZING, and amazingly easy. So these are now my go to cookie when I want something fast. And there are no eggs, so the dough is ready to eat right when you mix it. And I couldn't help myself. One of the formed cookies dropped off the pan while i was putting them in the oven, so I held to the 5 second rule and definitely ate that sucker. NOM NOM NOM NOM. Seriously though, make these cookies. I got this recipe from www.browneyedbaker.com. It makes about a dozen and a half.

What You'll need:
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs

What You'll do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and well-combined.
3. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix until the ingredients are well-combined. Add the flour and mix on low until the flour is incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
4. Place the Oreo cookie crumbs in a small bowl. Scoop the cookies into about 1½ to 2″ balls and then roll in the cookie crumbs. Place the cookie balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the tops are slightly puffed.
5. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Stay tuned for a special Valentine's cookie of the week! Happy Baking!



1 comment:

  1. they are ADDICTIVE!!!!!! :) LOVE THE BLOG! so cute, great idea to share the awesomeness of your baking with the world :)

    ReplyDelete