Why I bake- a lot

As an alcoholic in recovery, I had to find another outlet, another addiction if you will. I bake because it not only makes me happy to have created something, but it is always SO FULFILLING to give what I bake to other people, and make them happy. So none of the recipes on here include alcohol, and if I do make a recipe that calls for wine, I will substitute fruit juice.

And I am a big kid. I want to be a French teacher for pre-schoolers, so I feel it is important for me to keep thinking like a child. Also the whole child-like thinking helps me feel fulfilled in my daily life. Please leave comments if these recipes make you happy, I just love hearing that. I strive to keep the child inside me alive.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cookies of the week 4 and 5

So I have been baking a lot recently. The reason for this is I have felt that good ole defect of Anger coming back into my life in a huge way. Baking gives me time to think, time to myself, time to return to sanity. Here are the cookies that I have made for weeks 4 and 5 of 2012. And man are these the best yet.

Week 4: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies






I made 3 batches of these throughout the week because they were gone in an average of 2.5 hours. Yeah, they were that good. Extremely easy too. The recipe says the cinnamon is optional, but I highly recommend it. It's what sets these apart from your average cookie. I got this recipe from buddingbaketress.blogspot.com

What You'll Need:
1/2 cup (1 stick) + 6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips

What You'll do:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets and set aside.

Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar together on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. 

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, then add to the butter mixture and beat until combined. Stir in oats and chocolate chips. 

Scoop dough into rounded tablespoons and place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down to flatten each dough ball. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until done. I baked them for 10 minutes and they were a perfect chewy consistency. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack and allow to cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies. 

Believe me, you need to make these cookies. You will be everyone's hero for a few days.

Week 5: Peppermint Patty Cookies

I really don't have much to say about these, because they were gone LIKE LIGHTNING! I seriously only had possession of these treats for a few hours. I guess that's what you get when you bring sweets to a room filled with addicts and alcoholics. I got this recipe from www.hersheys.com, so you know it's gonna be some legit chocolate-y ness.
What You'll Need:

24 to 26 small (1-1/2 inch) YORK Peppermint Patties  
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened 
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
 Green decorator's sugar



What You'll do:

  1. Beat butter and sugar in large mixing bowl; add egg, milk and vanilla, blending thoroughly. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture, blending well. Refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm enough to handle. (Dough will be a little soft.)
  2. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. Remove wrappers from peppermint patties.
  3. Roll dough into 1-1/4 inch balls. For each cookie flatten ball slightly; press peppermint pattie into dough. Mold dough around pattie so that it is completely covered. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Using knife edge press star design into surface of each cookie; sprinkle with decorator's sugar.
  4. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until cookie is set; sprinkle with additional sugar, if desired. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 2 dozen cookies.
When the recipe says the dough will be soft, it is not kidding. This is a messy recipe. I suggest washing your hands off every 3 to 4 cookies. I used Green sugar on top to recall the yummy Thin Mint (and because the grocery store didn't have white), but you can use whatever color you would like.

Happy Baking!





No comments:

Post a Comment